Breaking News
Loading...
Friday 1 February 2013

Info Post


I know that when I am not blogging it must seem to my readers that I am not writing but indeed I am! My paper on Muriel Howorth, founder of the Atomic Gardening Society has just been published in the British Journal of the History of Science. Cambridge University Press has the enlightened policy of allowing the author to post the article on their personal website as soon as it appears in print (take that, Taylor and Francis) and so I am posting it here, for those of you that are interested enough in the topic to brave a scholarly article.  (Really, it's not too bad. I am invariably told by journal editors that my style is too narrative anyway). The information on the AGS is mostly in the last section of the paper.

Above is my favorite picture of Muriel, from the Wilkinson collection, which is the family archive of her remaining papers.  Who gives their mayor atomic models?? Muriel does.  In furs and an amazing hat.  You can download the paper as a pdf here:  Safeguarding the Atom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment