Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 11 December 2007

Info Post
Everybody knows a garden...quite simply a landscape that is in some way, more or less, intervened with--designed. But who planted it, and why, and how, and what did that say about who they were and their time and place?

The first garden I remember being aware of as more than just a planted yard was at the Philbrook Museum in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which I visited as a girl when it was still just the converted home of an oil baron, with a mummy in the sunroom and an Art Deco dancefloor that flashed colored lights, and its garden was the most beautiful space I'd ever seen outdoors.

It wasn't until I was grown that it occurred to me to wonder why there was an Italian villa on the Oklahoma prairie in the first place.

0 comments:

Post a Comment